These truffles make a wonderful Christmas gift for those hard-to-buy-for people! A word of warning – once you start you won’t be able to stop!
Serves: Makes approx 30 truffles
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 175g Dulce de Leche
- 325g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- ½ cup cream
- Cocoa for rolling
- Sea salt flakes to decorate
- Cacao nibs to decorate
1. Put the dulce de leche into a bowl followed by 125g of the chocolate broken into small pieces.
2. Heat the cream and pour this over the chocolate, stirring until smooth. If lumps remain then heat the mixture in the microwave in 10 second bursts until smooth (you can also suspend the bowl over a saucepan of hot water and stir until smooth).
3. Once smooth, cover and put into the fridge for 2 hours to thicken.
4. Put cocoa onto a large plate, cover your hands in the cocoa then scoop out teaspoons full of the mixture and roll them into balls.
5. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 1 hour so that they harden up again.
6. Put the remaining chocolate into a bowl and set it over a saucepan of water (make sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
7. Over a medium heat melt the chocolate until smooth. Using a fork, dip the truffles into the chocolate then arrange on a piece of baking paper and decorate with sea salt flakes or cacao nibs.
8. Let set, then store in an airtight container.