Our Egmont Manuka Honey tastes great direct from the jar but can also be used in lots of different ways. We asked nutritionist Christine Bailey to share some of her favourite ways to use Egmont and first up is her Chocolate Coconut Bars recipe.
A delicious treat for the whole family, these bars can be kept in the fridge for two weeks or frozen for up to three months – if you can resist them that long, that is!
If you want to give these a try for yourself, the full recipe is below. Meanwhile keep a look out for Christine’s second recipe, the ultimate Breakfast Berry Smoothie coming later this week.
Chocolate Coconuts Bar recipe
Makes 16 bars
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 75g coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- 3tbsp (45g) Manuka honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate chips
- 1tsp coconut oil
- Place the coconut in a food processor and process until very fine. Add the remaining ingredients for the filling and process to combine.
- Line a tray with greaseproof paper
- Take small walnut size pieces of the coconut mixture. Shape into balls or little rectangular bars. Place on the baking tray and freeze to firm up.
- Place the chocolate in a pan with the coconut oil and melt gently. Remove the bars from the freezer. Dip each into the chocolate and place on a wire rack and allow to set. If wished you can pipe little lines over the set chocolate to decorate.
- Place in the fridge for harden before serving. Keep in the fridge or freeze.
Calories per serving (without protein powder) 161kcal, Fat 15g of which saturates 12.7g, Carbohydrates 9.5g of which sugars 9.3g, Protein 1.2g