Prep: 20 minutes plus cooling and soaking
Cooks: 20-25 minutes
Makes 16 squares
- 50g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp Egmont Manuka Honey
- 200g pistachio kernels
- 100g walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter, melted
- 270g pack filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4.
- Firstly, make the sugar syrup. Place the sugar and 3 tbsp honey in a small saucepan with 100ml water, heat gently to dissolve the sugar and then boil for 3 minutes, allow to cool and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the nuts, cinnamon and remaining honey in a food processor and blitz to the appearance of breadcrumbs. Reserve 2 tbsp of the nut mixture.
- Brush a 22cm square tin with butter. Cut the filo in halve to give rough squares. Brush 1 square with butter and place in the tin, repeat with a further 4 squares of filo. Sprinkle over half the nut mixture then repeat with a further 5 squares buttered filo. Sprinkle over remaining nuts and repeat with the final 4 squares of buttered filo, sprinkle over the reserved 2 tbsp nuts and cut into 16 squares. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Spoon the cooled syrup over the baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven and allow to soak for 1-2 hours or longer if you have time before serving.