Give your omelettes a makeover with Mushrooms and Mānuka Honey! Although simple to make, omelettes always look so impressive to serve. Perhaps it is their golden-brown, almost pleated exterior, or their fluffy texture. Either way, this is a dish to impress the guests and nourish both mind and body. Gather some friends, double the recipe and share good food and company this weekend.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, quartered, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped
300g mushrooms, ends removed, sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 tablespoons cream
Parsley, finely chopped to serve
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium-high heat, melt together the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter then add in the onions and cook, stirring continuously, until beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook until caramelised and golden brown.
- In the last few minutes of cooking add in the garlic, followed by the honey and balsamic vinegar once the onions have caramelised. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Without adding any extra oil to the pan, return to the stove and cook the mushrooms over a medium-high heat until their moisture has been released.
- Return the onions to the pan along with the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the cream, season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside while you cook the omelette.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of cold water along with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and when foaming add in half the egg mixture.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, using a fork to pull the cooked mixture into the centre of the pan and allowing the uncooked mixture to flow out to the edges of the pan.
- Once cooked through, remove from the heat, reheat the mushroom mixture and tip half over the omelette then fold the omelette over itself.
- Repeat with the remaining egg and mushroom mixture then serve immediately scattered with parsley.