This is a fantastically adaptable recipe. While we have developed it to be dairy-free, for those who do eat dairy you can use butter in this recipe in the place of the coconut oil, and regular milk in the place of the coconut milk. You can also swap out the cashews for almonds and use cinnamon instead of the ginger if you prefer. And of course the real show stopper in this recipe is the honey – it adds a lovely floral note and just the right amount of sweetness to this delicious light and fluffy loaf.
Serves: Makes 1 loaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 100g cashew nuts
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 100g flour (regular or GF)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g New Zealand Pure Honey
- 3 ripe bananas (the riper the better)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk (of your choice, we used coconut in this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Put the cashew nuts and coconut into a food processor and process until it resembles a coarse flour.
3. Add the flour and ginger to this, process to combine and set aside.
4. Put the coconut oil and honey into a small saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl mash and bananas using a fork and then add in the eggs and whisk with the fork to combine.
6. Pour in the milk, followed by the coconut and honey mixture and the baking soda and mix well to combine.
7. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until it just comes together.
8. Pour into the tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
9. If the top starts to brown too much, place a piece of tin foil over the top for the remainder of the baking.
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before slicing and serving. Top tip: Slather each slice with our moreish caramel Dulce de Leche!