Slow-cooked meals like this are a welcome addition to the repertoire when there’s a chill in the air. In this recipe, beef and carrots are flavoured with bacon, herbs and a touch of honey - all enveloped in a rich red wine sauce. Perfect served over creamy mashed potato or polenta.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, quartered, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 150g bacon, sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 500g diced beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Egmont Honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 300g baby carrots, cut in half on the diagonal, then in half lengthways
- 1 cup stock
- 1 cup red wine
- Parsley to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the onions until golden and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute or two.
- Transfer the onions into an oven-proof pot with a lid. Return the pan to the heat and cook the bacon.
- Add this to the onions and return the pan to the stove.
- Put the flour into a shallow dish, add in the beef and turn to coat well.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and brown the meat in batches.
- Add this to the pot along with the remaining ingredients.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, put the lid on the pot and the pot into the oven.
- Cook for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Check from 2 ½ hours onwards.
- Serve with parmesan mashed potatoes or creamy polenta and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.